Thursday, June 7, 2012

Butterfly Art Journal

What a whirlwind of a week!  I participated in my very first blog hop ever!  It was exhausting, but so rewarding.  If you are one of the many who stopped by to take a gander at my skulls on Monday, thank you.  And if you are one of my new Followers- thank you even more!!

I am still trying to get the hang of this blogging thing- so when you see me stumble, please lend a hand- or a word.  I tried to message my new following friends, but it seems I am supposed to follow myself in order to be allowed into the inner circle. That seemed hinky.

If you missed my Monday's post, since Thursday is my day to shine, then I invite you to take a look at Monday's photos.  I posted several skull themed creations of mine since the blog hop was entitled, Skull Appreciation Day.  It was hosted by the great gals at Smeared and Smudged.

As predicted, it was a productive week, just never as productive as I would like it to be.  I have delusions in which my house sparkles, my well mannered and well groomed children say  things like, "what can I do to help?", my Studio is organized and the floor, desk, and table are visible, the fridge holds NO fuzzy food.  My delusions- more like Rockwellian fantasies, even include blog posts ready on Wednesday evening, a full Etsy shop, and always having the right card on hand.  And of course, in my bizarro world I NEVER raise my voice or feel as though there is a speeding freight train closing in on my backside.


I DID manage to begin my Living Canvas workshop with Christy Tomlinson.  These photos show the cover of the art journal we are making.  It began as a 25 cent book from Garnders.  Brief detour here-  about a month ago I took my daughter to a thrift store and a dollar store looking for things we could use in our collages.  That was a mistake.  If you are into altered books, or using book pages in your art, and you live in Tulsa, stick your painty little hands in the cushions of your sofa, bypass the cheerios, pretzels, and LEGOs you will find there and feel around until your fingers close in on the cold hard cash.  If you did that last week and the cupboard's bare, there is always the car and the little jar you keep on the dryer for the treasures you find in the laundry.  Then get into the car and make a beeline for Gardner's used books.  The tables out front hold the bargain books and they are all only $.25 each!  Mother Load!!!

So, this began as a hardcover novel.  I gessoed the covers and then started in with paint, rub ons, stamps, paper.  You get the idea.  The front says "when you are through changing you are through."  That's kinda the theme of the workshop.

 I have one other project that I would like to share, but this post has grown too long.  I will keep it for another day!  Thanks for stopping by! -   Renee
front view
rear cover






No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with me.